- 2018 Midwinter Preview January 2, 2018Featured Speakers Opening Session Friday, February 9, 4–5:15 p.m. Marley Dias, who started the #1000blackgirlbooks campaign as a 6th grader, will have a conversation with Patrisse Cullors, artist and cofounder of the Black Lives Matter movement, to reveal the determining factors and mindsets that motivated each of them to take action and how different genera […]Sanhita SinhaRoy
- Mile-High Bites January 2, 2018The Mile High City has emerged as a hot spot for chef-driven, farm-to-table restaurants. Numerous standout eateries have hung a shingle and earned one rave review after another. As author of the Frommer’s EasyGuide to Colorado, I was lucky enough to take my taste buds on a tour of Denver’s rising restaurants and enjoy every … Continue reading Mile-High Bites […]Sanhita SinhaRoy
- 2017 Year in Review January 2, 2018Saving Federal Funding Thanks to extensive grassroots efforts by ALA members, in September the Senate Appropriations Committee approved an increase of $4 million in funding for the Institute of Museum and Library Services, all of which would go to the formula-based Grants to States program. The bill also included increased funding in FY2018 for a … Continue […]Sanhita SinhaRoy
- By the Numbers: Get to Know Denver January 2, 20185,280 Denver’s elevation (in feet) above sea level gives the city its “Mile High” nickname. Over the years, three different steps outside the gold-adorned Colorado State Capitol building have been marked as the official mile-high point. 150 Number of archival collections of personal and professional items from African Americans in the West available in the … […]Carrie Smith
- 2018 Midwinter Preview January 2, 2018
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- Shelf effacement: how not to organise your bookshelvesA new trend to ‘coordinate’ the look of your library by turning the spines to face inward defies good sense. But apparently it’s catching onTalk about spineless: the new trend in home decor is backward-looking – literally. If you’re in search of a storage solution that won’t mar the boring – sorry “neutral” – look of a beige colour scheme, simply turn your b […]Diane Shipley
- Nikesh Shukla and Julia Kingsford on The Good Agency, plus Tony White - books podcastSubscribe and review: iTunes, Spotify, Soundcloud, Audioboom, Mixcloud & Acast and join the discussion on Facebook and TwitterAfter co-founding the Jhalak prize for non-white writers, and editing the hugely successful essay collection The Good Immigrant, author Nikesh Shukla teamed up with his agent Julia Kingsford to propose a radical solution to the UK […]Presented by Claire Armitstead, Sian Cain and Richard Lea. Produced by Susannah Tresilian
- David Simon adapting Philip Roth’s The Plot Against America for TVThe Wire director confirms a six-part mini-series is in the works, based Roth’s 2004 novel in which Charles Lindbergh wins the 1940 electionDavid Simon is adapting Philip Roth’s novel The Plot Against America for television, both the novelist and the creator of The Wire said on Monday. Shortly after the six-part mini-series was mentioned in an interview with […]Amanda Holpuch in New York
- Shelf effacement: how not to organise your bookshelves
- MyScienceWork Is Transforming Global ScholarshipMyScienceWork, a 15-person company, was voted winner of the Startup Shootout at the February 2017 National Federation of Advanced Information Services (NFAIS) annual conference. Recently, I checked in with co-founder Virginie Simon to learn more about the company's background, mission, and products and to find out what it's been doing since the NFA […]
- 'Why University Students Still Need Public Libraries' by Kate SterickerKate Stericker, micro-course developer at Minute School, writes about the importance of going to both the on-campus university library and the local public library while in college.
- RedLink Releases Report on Scholarly Journal UsageRedLink published "The 2018 RedLink Index," which provides benchmarks and comparisons of usage patterns for more than 1,700 journals during the 2017 subscription year.
- MyScienceWork Is Transforming Global Scholarship