July 2018 M T W T F S S « May 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
- 2018 Annual Wrap-Up July 18, 2018Among the many big-name speakers in the Big Easy was former First Lady Michelle Obama, who opened the conference with an inspiring talk about work ethic, raising children, being a woman, striving for work/life balance, and the importance of remembering one another’s humanity. “I know that there are so many people in this country, in … Continue reading 2018 A […]Terra Dankowski
- Tech in the Exhibit Hall July 18, 2018The conference brought together more than 750 companies and organizations in the world’s largest exhibition of library-oriented technology. This roundup describes a few of the products that caught my eye. It’s not a comprehensive report; there were just too many interesting items on hand to write about them all. Seeking synergies ProQuest is a good … Continu […]George Eberhart
- Staffing Your Homework-Help Center July 18, 2018The challenge comes in maintaining a paid or volunteer workforce large enough to provide sufficient assistance to the multitude of students who use the library every day after school. Most libraries cannot afford to hire the number of part-time employees needed to provide necessary homework help. Nor are they prepared to recruit and train a … Continue readin […]Phil Morehart
- Newsmaker: Viola Davis July 18, 2018What was the inspiration for Corduroy Takes a Bow? Was Corduroy an iconic character for you growing up? He was an iconic character for me, but more so for my daughter Genesis. I would read to her every single night, and that was the book that stuck. I had to read it over and over … Continue reading Newsmaker: Viola Davis → The post Newsmaker: Viola Davis app […]Terra Dankowski
- 2018 Annual Wrap-Up July 18, 2018
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- The strange cult of Emily Brontë and the 'hot mess' of Wuthering HeightsBrontë was no romantic child of nature but a pragmatic, self-interested Tory. Why is she still adored for her ‘screeching melodrama’ of a novel?Over this ecstatic high summer, visitors to the Haworth parsonage museum will be able to watch a film that simulates the bird’s-eye view of Emily Brontë’s pet hawk, Nero, as he swoops over the moors to Top Withens, t […]Kathryn Hughes
- Room to Dream review – a remarkable insight into David LynchThis hybrid biography cuts between essays from Kristine McKenna and reflections from the great auteurKristine McKenna admits at the outset of Room to Dream that she and David Lynch have come up with an approach to life writing “that some might find strange”. This hybrid form combines memoir and biography: each of McKenna’s chapters is followed by one by Lync […]PD Smith
- Andrew Motion on Stisted: ‘That’s where I first began to care about poems’The former poet laureate on the village perched between Braintree and Halstead where his eyes were opened to the world“Fair seed-time had my soul,” says Wordsworth in the first book of The Prelude, “And I grew up / Foster’d alike by beauty and by fear.” Quite so. Beauty and fear. The essential, paradoxical ingredients of childhood. One filling us with wonder […]Andrew Motion
- The strange cult of Emily Brontë and the 'hot mess' of Wuthering Heights
- Cengage Offers More OERsCengage will contribute Creative Commons-licensed narrative content for three openly licensed textbooks and learning objectives and assessments for 12 course areas as OERs available to download from its website.
- Wellcome and Springer Nature Introduce Pilot for Making Research Datasets AvailableWellcome and Springer Nature are embarking on a pilot to help researchers by making research datasets discoverable and available to the wider research community.
- ALA Focuses on International RelationsLoida Garcia-Febo, ALA's new president, announced a slate of programs and tools designed to reach out to the organization's international members. They include free webinars, opportunities for engagement with librarians from various countries, and initiatives to increase awareness of international topics impacting the library profession.
- Cengage Offers More OERs