November 2018 M T W T F S S « May 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
- Bridging Past and Present November 9, 2018Beginning in 2016, Library of America (LOA) awarded grants to 120 libraries around the country as part of its World War I and America program. The grants were created to support library programming that would bring together US veterans and their communities through shared exploration of firsthand writings from WWI. To establish the connection between … Conti […]Amy Carlton
- Referenda Roundup 2018 November 8, 2018COLORADO Clearview Library District Ballot Issue 6C, which would have provided $23 million to replace the current Windsor-Severance Library with a new, 38,000-square-foot facility, was rejected by voters 64.4% to 35.6%. Voters in Garfield County approved Ballot Question 6A, which will allow the county’s library district to keep all tax revenue it collects. T […]Anne Ford
- Good Job Hunting November 1, 2018Fortunately, the traits that bring librarians to the profession—diligence, curiosity, intelligence, and flexibility—are the same ones that can win them a position. And American Libraries is here to show you how. Just a few of the things we cover in this special package: How to network without feeling like a phony The LIS skills that … Continue reading Good J […]Anne Ford
- Résumé Yea or Résumé Nay? November 1, 2018That’s why we’ve enlisted National Résumé Writers’ Association President Mary Jo King and San José (Calif.) State University School of Information Student and Alumni Career Consultant Jill A. Klees to give the thumbs-up or thumbs-down on several common résumé practices. Nay: Objectives Once, many résumés led with a section titled “Objectives,” listing what t […]Anne Ford
- Bridging Past and Present November 9, 2018
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- National Populism review – compassion for supporters of Trump, Brexit, Le PenRoger Eatwell and Matthew Goodwin’s case for understanding those people who want to ‘reassert cherished national identities’ claims to be myth-busting. But is it just flawed?Emmanuel Macron can cut a galling figure. His 2017 campaign rhetoric of creating a “startup nation” was trite, wedded as it was to a Blairite ideology that had been on the wane for at le […]William Davies
- 'A horror story': history of Chernobyl nuclear disaster wins Baillie Gifford prizeUkrainian author Serhii Plokhy, who grew up downstream from the damaged reactor, wins £30,000 prize for Chernobyl: History of a TragedyA Harvard history professor’s “haunting” account of the 1986 Chernobyl nuclear disaster, which delves into the “heartbreaking stories of heroism” from the people who helped to prevent the whole of Europe from becoming uninhab […]Alison Flood
- Robin Robertson wins Goldsmiths prize for innovative fiction with The Long TakeScottish poet wins £10,000 prize for his ‘narrative poem’ about a D-Day veteran in search of a home in postwar AmericaThe Scottish poet Robin Robertson has won the Goldsmiths prize for the year’s most innovative fiction for his debut novel The Long Take, the story of a D-Day veteran written in a mix of verse and prose.Robertson, who has won many awards for h […]Alison Flood
- National Populism review – compassion for supporters of Trump, Brexit, Le Pen
- ProQuest Involves Customers in Product DevelopmentProQuest launched Idea Exchange, a new online community for its OASIS (Online Acquisitions and Selection Information System) or LibCentral customers.
- IGI Global Joins Forces With ORCID for Use of ORCID iDIGI Global integrated with ORCID, allowing editors, contributors, and reviewers to connect their ORCID iD (Open Researcher and Contributor ID)—or create one—in order to increase their research works' visibility.
- SAGE Rolls Out Gathering Space for Social Sciences Mentors and MenteesSAGE introduced MentorSpace, a hub on its MethodSpace social sciences community. MentorSpace "allows users to tap into the wisdom of those who have executed a specific aspect of the research process and want to share their knowledge with others," according to the press release.
- ProQuest Involves Customers in Product Development