January 2019 M T W T F S S « May 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
- Newsmaker: Rick Steves January 18, 2019Steves will appear as an Auditorium Speaker at the American Library Association’s 2019 Midwinter Meeting in Seattle on January 27 to talk about the third edition of his book, Travel as a Political Act (Hachette Book Group, 2018). This month he releases Rick Steves Classroom Europe, a searchable resource of video clips that he hopes … Continue reading Newsmak […]Terra Dankowski
- The Value of School Librarians January 15, 2019Library advocates across the US are fighting to prove that every student is better off with a trained librarian in their school, but budget cuts are threatening school librarian positions across most of the country. Several states in the Southeast are facing a different crisis, however—a shortage of qualified school librarians to fill empty positions. … Cont […]Amy Carlton
- 2019 Midwinter Preview January 2, 2019Featured speakers Opening Session Friday, January 25, 4–5:15 p.m. Philanthropist Melinda Gates, cofounder of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, has dedicated her life to transforming the health and prosperity of families, communities, and societies. Core to her work is the empowerment of women and girls. Gates is the author of the forthcoming The Momen […]Terra Dankowski
- Emerald City Eats January 2, 2019Then, like the tech industry that refueled Seattle’s ailing aerospace economy, the food scene exploded. Cooking became an art, and the materials needed to create that art were close at hand—right at the famous Pike Place Market. The “buy fresh, eat local” philosophy, which places a premium on sustainable fishing and organic farming practices, now … Continue […]Phil Morehart
- Newsmaker: Rick Steves January 18, 2019
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- Jokes for the Gunmen by Mazen Maarouf review – strange tales from dark placesMaarouf’s collection of deeply peculiar short stories set in unnamed cities is brilliantly bizarreIt’s not surprising that the 12 short stories in Mazen Maarouf’s first collection, Jokes for the Gunmen, largely take place in nameless, dream-like cities. Maarouf’s life has taken an unconventional path: he was born in Beirut to Palestinian parents who had fled […]Alex Preston
- Ben Okri: ‘If you’re hungry, books seem full of feasts’The writer on living on the streets in London, eating in a cellar during the Nigerian civil war, and fasting while writingIt’s a mystery to me why Nigerian food is not better known. It can only be the prejudice of poor exposure. I once took Antonio Carluccio to my favourite Nigerian restaurant in London and he raved at the revelation. But it was too late in […]John Hind
- Jo Swinson MP: ‘I first wrote to my MP when I was about 10’The Lib Dem deputy leader talks about the inspiration for her activism and the motivation for writing her book about gender equalityJo Swinson MP is deputy leader of the Liberal Democrats. The former government minister’s achievements include introducing shared parental leave and legislating to require companies to report their gender pay gaps. She wrote Equ […]Anita Sethi
- Jokes for the Gunmen by Mazen Maarouf review – strange tales from dark places
- Wiley Partners With Project DEAL for Open Science InitiativesWiley entered a 3-year partnership agreement with Project DEAL, a representative body of nearly 700 German academic institutions, to pilot new publishing models, help German researchers publish OA works through Wiley's journals, and allow German institutions to retain access to Wiley's journals back through 1997, all under an annual fee.
- Jisc Unveils Scheme for Reducing Digital Archive Collection PricesJisc announced, "The digital archival collections group purchasing pilot by Jisc is now a fully-fledged scheme thanks to the success of two pilots that saved participating universities a total of £458,000 [about $589,000]. Under the scheme, Jisc Collections works in collaboration with nine publishers to make digital archive collections more affordable f […]
- ProQuest Integrates OASIS and Alma for Simplified Print Book OrdersProQuest's OASIS (Online Acquisitions and Selection Information System) platform is now integrated with the Ex Libris Alma library services platform.
- Wiley Partners With Project DEAL for Open Science Initiatives