July 2020 M T W T F S S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
- Advancing Digital Equity July 1, 2020Larra Clark, deputy director of PLA and the American Library Association’s Public Policy and Advocacy Office, moderated the event, joined by Betsy Fowler, director of Williamsburg (Va.) Regional Library; Misty Hawkins, director of Arkansas River Valley Regional Library System; and Julie Walker, state librarian for the Georgia Public Library Service. As nearl […]Amy Carlton
- International Innovators July 1, 2020The Presidential Citations began as an initiative of former ALA President Loriene Roy (2007–2008). Presented by the International Relations Round Table, the awards recognize exemplary services and projects that draw attention to the potential for library services to create positive change, demonstrate sustainability, and provide a model for others. The winne […]Phil Morehart
- Bringing Books to the Desert July 1, 2020Among the camp’s adult population, literacy is low: 79% of its residents are from the agricultural region of Dara’a in southern Syria, where people are typically less educated than in a metropolis like Damascus. Before the Syrian civil war, Syrian schools and universities were considered among the best in the Arab world. Resourcefulness and creativity … Cont […]Sallyann Price
- Responding to a Threat July 1, 2020Take the Cologne Archives in Germany, for example. The archives building was constructed in 1971 to hold myriad materials, some of which date to 922 AD. The building was located in downtown Cologne next to a tunnel that was being excavated for a subway line. On March 3, 2009, construction workers noticed large cracks appearing in … Continue reading Respondin […]Phil Morehart
- Advancing Digital Equity July 1, 2020
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- Why We Drive review – a motorist puts his foot downMatthew Crawford’s heartfelt riposte to a ‘smart’ future of driverless cars is persuasive and thought-provokingFive years ago I sat around a table of Google executives at the company’s Mountain View headquarters in California. They took turns explaining the virtues of their prototype driverless car, in which I had just meticulously navigated the streets of n […]Tim Adams
- Brit Bennett: 'Last week was truly the wildest week of my life'The US author on topping the bestseller charts with her new novel, why being right is overrated, and the TV show bringing her joy in lockdownBrit Bennett, 30, was born and raised in southern California. She attended Stanford University and earned an MFA in fiction at the University of Michigan. Her acclaimed first novel, The Mothers, was published in 2016, w […]Simran Hans
- British Summer Time Begins review – lyrical social historyYsenda Maxtone Graham eloquently captures the quirky nature of the bygone British summer break – from endless board games to hop-picking holidays in Kent Of all the scenes set forth in this joyously addictive history of British summer holidays – from shivering Welsh beaches to midge-infested glens, from roof racks and badly folded maps to five-hour board gam […]Laura Cumming
- Why We Drive review – a motorist puts his foot down
- COVID-19 NEWS: 'The Black Lives Matter Protests Have Taught Us More About the Coronavirus'BuzzFeed News reporters Peter Aldhous, Stephanie M. Lee, and Dan Vergano share that although "hundreds of thousands of protesters and police crowded onto the streets, overall social distancing actually strengthened in big cities with major protests."
- COVID-19 NEWS: 'The MIT Press and UC Berkeley Launch Rapid Reviews: COVID-19'The MIT Press is releasing Rapid Reviews: COVID-19, an OA, rapid-review overlay journal that aims to accelerate peer review in COVID-19-related research and combat misinformation about the illness.
- Gale Analytics' Interactive Dashboards Provide Data for Public LibrariesGale created new interactive dashboards for Gale Analytics that help public libraries "analyze data more efficiently to better serve their patrons and communities." Library staffers can use them to "better understand the lifestyles and behaviors of households in their communities to design and market customized library services and resources t […]
- COVID-19 NEWS: 'The Black Lives Matter Protests Have Taught Us More About the Coronavirus'
Tag Archives: Livres
C’est parce que «La lecture est une amitié » comme l’avait si bien dit Marcel Proust … la jeune chambre internationale (JCI) Rabat, en collaboration avec le groupe «Bouquineurs » réunira un grand nombre d’amoureux du livre dans une séance de lecture publique. … Continue reading