May 2018 M T W T F S S « May 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
- The Librarian Identity Crisis May 17, 2018A total of 39,634 failed to vote on the question. Yet of those who did, a majority stated they wanted the executive director to be a librarian. The question is not so much about a skill set but about the relevance of our degree and our profession. It makes one wonder how important the library … Continue reading The Librarian Identity Crisis → The post The Li […]George Eberhart
- A Conversation with Author Merrilee Proffitt May 10, 2018What made you want to work on this book? I have been passionate about the links between Wikipedia and libraries for a long time. I have been editing Wikipedia pages since 2005 and deeply engaged with its community since 2012. Because of my day job, I could see so many possibilities for librarians to connect … Continue reading A Conversation with Author Merri […]Phil Morehart
- Finding Advocacy Allies May 4, 2018In 2015, we—Virginia Beach City Public Schools Library Services Coordinator and Virginia Association of School Librarians (VAASL) Executive Board Member Kelly Miller and Virginia Library Association (VLA) Executive Director Lisa R. Varga—met at a state social function. A few months later, the Virginia General Assembly introduced legislation threatening intel […]Amy Carlton
- Library Systems Report 2018 May 1, 2018Academic libraries are looking beyond efficiencies in collection management or improvements in library-provided discovery services. Instead, they are addressing broader education needs by inserting relevant resources into platforms that support the curriculum and enhance their institutions’ research activities. Public libraries seek technologies that improve […]Phil Morehart
- The Librarian Identity Crisis May 17, 2018
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- Sheila Heti: ‘There's a sadness in not wanting the things that give others their life’s meaning’Her deeply personal first novel divided critics, her new one explores the choice not to have children. Sheila Heti talks about self-belief and the joy of failureWhen Sheila Heti’s novel, Motherhood, was published in the US, many of the reviews opened with personal experiences. The book, which describes a female writer in her late 30s (in many ways indistingu […]Emma Brockes
- Why are middle-aged women invisible on book covers? | Alison FloodEven when they’re central to the story, women over 40 are getting pushed to one side when it’s time to design the book jacketHere’s a challenge for you: find a book jacket that features an image of a woman over 40. My own hunt – as yet unsuccessful – was prompted by the actor and novelist Barbara Ewing, whose novel about a drama-school reunion, The Actresses […]Alison Flood
- Bullshit Jobs: A Theory by David Graeber review – the myth of capitalist efficiencyIs your job one that makes the world a better place? If not, it is probably bullshit, part of a system that is keeping us under controlI had a bullshit job once. It involved answering the phone for an important man, except the phone didn’t ring for hours on end, so I spent the time guiltily converting my PhD into a book. I’ve also had several jobs that were […]Eliane Glaser
- Sheila Heti: ‘There's a sadness in not wanting the things that give others their life’s meaning’
- Kudos Unveils Results of New Shareable PDF ServiceKudos published the results of the first 6 months of its new Shareable PDF (S-PDF) service, which gives researchers the ability to add context to their work (in the form of bibliographic information, plain-language summaries, etc.). ...
- LexisNexis Helps Law Firms Track Billable Hours in Real TimeLexisNexis introduced the Time Matters Go app, a mobile timekeeping solution that integrates with its Time Matters case, client, and document management software.
- Cloudtenna's DirectSearch Speeds Up Search Across ApplicationsCloudtenna, a software startup, launched "to address the growing problem of file sprawl with enterprise file search that works universally across [on-premises] repositories, cloud file storage services, and hosted/online applications." ...
- Kudos Unveils Results of New Shareable PDF Service