February 2019 M T W T F S S « May 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
- 2019 Midwinter Wrap-Up February 5, 2019The Emerald City played host to more than 9,200 attendees (as compared with 8,036 in 2018 and 8,995 in 2017), who came to soak up the words of big-name speakers, learn from the practices of their peers, and network around subjects practical and theoretical. As with recent Midwinters, many sessions focused on the empowerment of … Continue reading 2019 Midwint […]Terra Dankowski
- 11 Questions: Earla J. Jones January 24, 2019She previously served as vice president of meeting services at Cygnus Corporation in Rockville, Maryland, and convention coordinator at SmithBucklin, an association management company in Chicago. Jones has been an assistant professor at Northern Virginia Community College since 2005, providing instruction in meeting planning, and was previously an adjunct fa […]Amy Carlton
- Newsmaker: Rick Steves January 18, 2019Steves will appear as an Auditorium Speaker at the American Library Association’s 2019 Midwinter Meeting in Seattle on January 27 to talk about the third edition of his book, Travel as a Political Act (Hachette Book Group, 2018). This month he releases Rick Steves Classroom Europe, a searchable resource of video clips that he hopes … Continue reading Newsmak […]Terra Dankowski
- The Value of School Librarians January 15, 2019Library advocates across the US are fighting to prove that every student is better off with a trained librarian in their school, but budget cuts are threatening school librarian positions across most of the country. Several states in the Southeast are facing a different crisis, however—a shortage of qualified school librarians to fill empty positions. … Cont […]Amy Carlton
- 2019 Midwinter Wrap-Up February 5, 2019
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- New novel about Dr James Barry sparks row over Victorian's gender identityThe Cape Doctor by EJ Levy, which describes the individual born Margaret Ann Bulkley as ‘a heroine’, has been accused of disrespecting gender identity A debate about the gender identity of Dr James Barry, the pioneering Victorian who adopted a male persona to become the UK’s first female-born doctor, has erupted after the award-winning author EJ Levy was acc […]Alison Flood
- Tips, links and suggestions: what are you reading this week?Your space to discuss the books you are reading and what you think of them Are you on Instagram? Then you can be featured here by tagging your books-related posts with #GuardianBooksScroll down for our favourite literary linksRead more Tips, links and suggestions blogsWelcome to this week’s blogpost. Here’s our roundup of your comments and photos from last w […]Guardian readers and Sam Jordison
- From Jeanette Winterson to John Irving: John Boyne on the best books about LGBT lifeAs we mark LGBT history month, the novelist selects some classic, personal novels and true accounts of the battle for civil rightsIt’s a rite of passage for every young gay man to read Edmund White’s A Boy’s Own Story, the classic tale of a teenager coming to terms with his homosexuality. I first read it when I was 15 years old, hiding the book at the back o […]John Boyne
- New novel about Dr James Barry sparks row over Victorian's gender identity
- White House Goes All In on AIA Forbes article by Jessica Baron—"Will Trump's New Artificial Intelligence Initiative Make the U.S. the World Leader in AI?"—notes that the president is "signing an executive order that would create an American AI Initiative designed to dedicate resources and funnel investments into research on artificial intelligence (AI)."
- ARL Unveils Its Latest Salary SurveyThe Association of Research Libraries (ARL) released its annual salary survey for 2017-2018 online and in print. It analyzes salary data for professional staffers in 123 ARL member libraries: 10,000-plus staffers in 114 university libraries and 3,000-plus staffers in 9 non-university research libraries.
- The IET Adds Power Engineering Journal Collection to ScienceOpenScienceOpen joined forces with the IET (The Institution of Engineering and Technology) to integrate selected OA articles from the IET's power and energy journals into ScienceOpen's research discovery environment.
- White House Goes All In on AI